The Steam Next Fest started yesterday. If y'all're unfamiliar, it's a week long window shopping event with hundreds of demos to download and play. Sounds similar a good thought on the surface right?

For the nigh office information technology is, if you can wade through the mountain of games to find ones really involvement you. There are a lot of filters to assistance sort through the noise simply fifty-fifty narrowing downwardly the field to sub genres leaves a lot of games to go through. Clicking to the shop page of any given game will reset the result page which isn't the least bit helpful. I'm more than likely to bank check out another genre or sub-genre page so scroll through the page I was on to find where I left off.

I took a brief look last night for most an hour only to see what was out there. The last couple of times these demo events take come around I've had an thought of what kind of games I would similar to try. Yesterday though, I wasn't feeling fatigued toward any item style. I by and large scanned through a few genres and the lists inside and downloaded whatever grabbed my attention from the thumbnails.

I found the VR category, which was not very big. Totaling 19 games in all it was like shooting fish in a barrel to expect through and find a few demos that looked interesting. I grabbed Hyper Hook a grappling claw arcade game, Desolatium a Lovecraft inspired point and click adventure, and Now there Be Goblins a VR tower defense game, which I'm going to make a priority to endeavour this week. At that place was some other game that looked interesting, The Last Taxi but a thirty gb demo is a lot of space. Maybe if I finish the other 3 VR demos I'll endeavor it out.

I do wonder how effective these events are in selling games subsequently. For me, it's fun to try a demo, maybe stick it on the wish list, merely that's where it stays for the nigh part. I call back the only game I've bought after i of these events is *Sable*. Loved the demo, bought the game when it came out but haven't made the time to play it. Everything else seems to sit on the wish list and I'm reminded of it's existence merely  Steam emails me about what's on sale. I think I'd exist more probable to buy if the game was available for purchase after I played the demo rather than sometime later this yr.

So maybe I'chiliad non the target consumer for these kinds of events but they must be constructive. There seems to be a number of them that popular upwardly throughout the twelvemonth. I concluded up with 12 demos in all downloaded from yesterday. I know I won't play all of them just mayhap 1 will generate plenty interest to purchase at 50% off a year from at present…

20160922100746_1.jpg

A few weeks agone I picked upwards a game chosen Sirlaim 2. I had gotten the start Siralim during the steam summertime sale and proceeded to play it for hours on end. It'due south been described as a mix betwixt Pokemon and Dragon Quest Monsters the latter which I accept never played. Basically the premise of the game is you lot are a male monarch (or queen) of the castle Siralim. Bad things are happening and you and have to salve the kingdom. Yous practice this by exploring randomized dungeons with a menagerie of monsters who yous tin catch out in the wild and train to progress. It's kind of like one of those hero collector mobile games except you but pay once and can become all the content.

At its core Siralim and Siralim 2 are a dungeon crawler grindfests with no finish. Monsters gain levels, weapons equipped to monsters gain levels, your castle can be upgraded, there is a lot of things to craft and a lot of materials to exist farmed. The proper name of the game is progression for progressions sake and to come across what how many types of team comps you tin can come up with. But the all-time feature of Siralim ii is the PC/Mobile cantankerous-save.

20160922100620_1.jpg

I bought Siralim 2 on steam for $15 and had no interest at first of getting the mobile version. After I few days I found myself wishing I could have information technology with me. So I went to the Google Play store and found that the mobile version was an additional $five. Best purchase I've made gaming wise in a long time and I've put more time into the mobile version than the PC. Information technology's such an easy game to pick up and play during some downwards fourth dimension and when I want to play it longer I tin export my save to the cloud and selection information technology back up on my reckoner.

I wish at that place were more of these specially for smaller indie games. Sure a lot of games have mobile ports or more than normally a lot of mobile games have PC ports and end up on Steam merely this is the first time I've seen a game that has PC/Mobile cantankerous save. It'southward a characteristic I didn't know I  wanted equally I don't see my phone as a platform for gaming. In that location take but been a few other games The but other game I've really played on mobile was the port of Dragon Quest. But playing Siralim two on my phone has turned out out be at least as enjoyable as playing on the PC.

20160904222942_1.jpg

I oasis't actually beaten a game in a few months. I think the last game I've played all the mode through was Tengami in June. Part of the reason is it was a busy summer and the other part is that I can never seem to stick with a game very long. I like plaing he beginning and and then somewhere through the centre I walk away from a game intending to return and then never practise. By the time I want to play it again I've forgotten where I was in the story or how to play and cease up starting it again and the bicycle continues.

Unepic is one of these games that I really enjoy playing and have gotten a few hours in and walked away coming dorsum almost a year later and having no idea how to play. I picked it back up again this calendar week. There's something about the fine art style and the game play that are really hooking me in right now and it has a great sense of humor.

The whole idea of my personal backlog challenge was to play more of the games I own all the way through. Now that things are slowing down in existent life I think I'll get dorsum to playing through my steam library. Though I had a system of playing games from the shortest playtime to the longest I have no involvement right now in playing any of my games on deck.

I've e'er been a little envious of people who played unmarried titles for a long fourth dimension, really getting their money'due south worth out of a game. I'm trying my hand at the whole 1 game at a time affair or as close to information technology equally I can with Final Fantasy xiv in the mix. Merely I desire to avoid the trapping of playing games to play them.Sometimes I get this fashion with books where information technology becomes more near finishing information technology and checking it off the list than actually getting into the story. I want to beat the games in my excess while actually enjoying what I'thousand playing and appreciating it.

I haven't done this in a while. July has been a crazy calendar month for me in my non gaming life. Between going on holiday and taking on some more than responsibilities at work  there hasn't been a whole lot of fourth dimension to work on my backlog. These games I really finished back in June but haven't had the chance to write about them. Both were under 2 hours long, I wish Tengami was longer but Where is My Heart? couldn't finish shortly enough.

Tengami

20160622112824_1 - Copy.jpg

Programmer: Nyamnyam

Playtime: 114 minutes

Tengami is a point and click puzzle game in a earth that looks like its made out of paper. The game itself  reminds me of an interactive pop-upward volume complete with tabs to pull and flaps to flip. The goal of the game is to get through each level and find a flower to put back onto the Cherry Blossom tree.

20160622113154_1 - Copy.jpg

Each of the 4 levels reflect the four changing seasons and have a few puzzles to solve on each. The puzzles are difficult but non impossible to solve without hints. The glowing circles on the interactive parts of the world were very helpful. While I tried to use hints sparingly, in that location were some puzzles I simply couldn't wrap my head around to start until I looked upwards a walkthrough.

20160622120653_1.jpg
At the end of each level you are rewarded with a Haiku

While it did feel a like cheating to use a walkthrough for some puzzles, I really wanted to see more of the world. I dearest the art in this game, it's simple,unique and very visually pleasing. Couple that with the bully soundtrack and you tin can run into why I didn't desire to spend hours figuring out that a few symbols were actually Japanese numbers.

I wish the game was longer. It seemed as soon as I was really getting into it it was over. That's ane of the problems with brusque games. Overall information technology plays really well, the grapheme walks a bit dull but other than that it's a really enjoyable feel that I highly recommend.

Where Is My Center?

20160625103635_1.jpg
Where is My Heart? They're all over the place.

Developer: Schulenburg Software

Playtime: 98 minutes

I picked upward this game in a Apprehensive bundle a yr or two ago. What started off as a cute platformer with an interesting idea became a headache after well-nigh x levels. Where is My Heart tells the story of a family unit of forest spirits whose globe has been fractured. You are tasked with guiding them through each level to put their globe dorsum together and gather  hearts.

20160623195800_1.jpg
Hey Ma, I'm in two places at in one case!

The main feature of the game is the shattered world, the level is broken upward into different pieces and shuffled around. This adds a claiming to the platforming. Jumping out of one square could drib you into one across the screen. After a few levels, this becomes more of an badgerer than anything special. It's non the easiest platforming and when you don't know exactly where your character is jumping to, it ends in a lot of missed jumps and miserable deaths.I wouldn't recommend trying to play this in one sitting, I concluded up with a headache trying to keep rail of how all the shattered pieces were connected together.

Each wood spirit tin can ability up and transform to have different abilities. This adds a few more than mechanics to the game. For example the Rainbow spirit, who looks like a fluffy marshmallow, jump and rotate the screens to become to hard to attain places. The Deer spirit can jump higher than the rest and the bat spirit can reveal hidden passages and platforms.

20160623204400_1.jpg
The spirits are allergic to spikes and water. I must have died fifty times on this levle.

I remember I would have liked the game if it was a normal platformer. It'south challenging plenty every bit such but throwing in the confusing, jigsaw, shattered levels makes it frustrating. I empathize why they did this, it's a unique idea and it is fun for the first few levels and if you took this feature away, it'd be just some other retro looking platformer.

Screenshot (137).png

I finally pulled the trigger and checked out my cart on Steam. In total I bought v new games and spent around $15 dollars. This is way less than I've bought or spent in previous years.Hey, I'm not complaining.

So Long and Good Riddance Flash Sales

This is the kickoff Steam Sale I've been through that didn't have flash sales. I know a lot of people were upset that these flash sales wouldn't be appearing this year and at first I agreed with them. But as the week went by, I realized I'm actually glad they didn't make an appearance.

Sure, it was fun to check back every 8 hours to see what the new deals were and to see if that ane game I really wanted would go on auction for cheaper, but that was rarely the case. Most of the time, the games I bought from the flash sales were things I didn't even have an involvement in at get-go simply the toll and the time limit had me scooping upwards game afterward game. A lot of these games I still haven't played 2 years later on.

No Rougelikes 2016

My kickoff steam summer auction I discovered this lovely genre of game. I had never heard of or played a rouge like in my life. Randomly generated levels? That sounds cool! The game is different every time you lot play? Wow that'southward crazy! If you dice y'all have to start over? SOunds similar a fun challange! I promptly bought all of them I could detect. I actually similar the genre merely my steam library is drowning in rougelikes and rougelites. I refrained from getting any this yr as I haven't actually beaten any of the ones I've gotten.

Unmarried Player Only

I have a friend who I game with on a weekly basis, we play annihilation and everything together. Then when my second Steam Summer Sale came around, we bought  a ton of multiplayer games. Nosotros accept tried out almost everything nosotros bought for multiplayer over the next year, but a lot of the games either don't accept a unmarried player way or don't take a very good single role player way. When we didn't play them together anymore, they just saturday in my forgotten.

This twelvemonth nosotros both realized that we had so other games to play through that nosotros didn't need anymore filling up our co-op backlog. We stuck to buying simply unmarried player games that we  wanted to play and I call back that'due south saved us both some money.

Avoiding Early Access

I don't really have anything against Early Access equally long as a game is notwithstanding being developed and is not just an excuse to make a quick buck on  a half finished game. I've bought few early access titles in the past and they accept all eventually made it to a full release. This yr I decided to avoid them.

I wanted to spend my money on games that are complete this yr.In that location are certainly a lot of early on access titles I'thou interested in like Project Zomboid, Software Inc, Factorio, and Secrets of Grindea just a lot of these weren't even on auction. I want to play a consummate game, I don't want to pay to beta test a game and wait for updates to ready things and balance the game. I've realized that I take so many games to keep me occupied that I tin wait for release earlier calculation more to my library.

More Demos Delight!

I honey when I see the Demo download button on a steam games store page. Every game should have a demo, information technology has helped me decide whether to purchase a game or not on numerous. Before buying any game I unremarkably meticulously enquiry it to make sure its what I want and the kind of game I want to play. Having a playable demo to get just a gustation of the game is extremely helpful. At that place were a few games I had in my cart ready to get this yr and and so tried the demo and promptly removed them.

The Terminal Cut

At the start of the auction I put everything from my wishlist that I wanted into my cart, as the days went on I idea about which games I really wanted and which games I could go without. At the end I was left with 5 games.

  • Aquaria– Metrovania set underwater
  • The Cat Lady-Signal and Click horror/thriler
  • The Surreptitious of Monkey Isle– I keep hearing about this game and I've been really into Betoken and Clicks lately
  • Monkey Island two– I'm a sucker for bundles…
  • Siralim– Information technology'southward like Pokemon meets Dragon Warrior and information technology's suprisingly addicting
  • Space Pirates Aliens Zombies– I've been wanting a top down space game for months and this one looked pretty

Screenshot (130).png Developer:MiniBoss

Fourth dimension to Shell: two hrs

It'south a puzzle platformer with teleportation and shooting aliens how could information technology not be fun? Afterward getting shot out of the sky and landing on an unknown planet one loan astronaut and his trust teleportation gun must make his way across the planet collecting send upgrades and health canisters to repair his ship and beat the large bad boss.

I've been playing this game off and on for months. It came in a parcel with Polarity and a few other indie games. Every once and a while I remember I accept it and complete a level or 2, become stuck and stop playing. My backlog challenge has actually forced me to finally beat it.

Screenshot (134).png

The mechanics are quite unproblematic. You can jump, you have a teleportation gun that will teleport yous to a location where the beam hits a wall, and while teleporting you comport your momentum with you. This leads to a lot of puzzles being solved past jumping, firing the beam, landing on the ground then jumping as soon as the beam hits the wall to bound higher. Along the manner in that location are (insert name of detail here cause I tin can't recall it) that you can collect that will make your ship stronger, I think, I didn't become out of my mode to collect them which is why  the boss fight at the end was so hard.

Screenshot (127).png

Permit'southward talk well-nigh the last dominate existent quick. So most of the game is a puzzle platformer except for the very  kickoff and the very game. At these 2 points in time, the game is a side scrolling space shooter a la R-Type.

I was not prepared for this, the game didn't fix me for it, it just threw me in in that location and said "hey, if yous want to actually beat this game play a completely different game." It's not that it was difficult, information technology was unexpected and took more than a few tries to become through. I've never been that great at dodging bullets and missiles in games like that. What I enjoyed a lot more than was the mini boss fight which actually had you apply the skills you'd adult through the game and put them to the exam. That fight was a lot more than fun and a lot less frustrating.

I actually want to get back after the backlog challenge is over, and try to observe all the transport upgrades. I would like to know how much easier it makes the final fight plus it'll add some extra puzzles. I'1000 non going to lie, I really had to look up the solutions to ii puzzles. As a rule I don't like doing this simply I was banging my caput against the wall trying to figure out where exactly to jump. In my search for the solution, I saw that the entire game tin can exist beaten in 17 minutes which gives me hope my next play through tin be nether 2 hours.

The great thing near short games is that they're short. You can sit down, start the game, shell information technology, see the credits, and have plenty twenty-four hour period left to spare. This week I was able to check two games off my excess list. Well, i was a game. The other was more of  a muppet infused fever dream.

PolarityScreenshot (120).png

Total Play Time: ii hours

Polarity has you take on the office of a hacker trying to suspension in to i of the most secure systems in the world. And by hacking, I mean solving 3D platforming puzzles. It'due south kind of like portal except the portals are replaced with moving colored cubes around.

You can switch between ii polarities, blue and ruby. While your polarity is red, you can pass through cerise gates and lasers and vis versa for blue. In that location are blue and ruby-red cubes that when placed on respective platforms, will unlock doors, turn on jump pads, and raise or lower platforms. The  levels are a mix between puzzles solving and obstacle courses that exam how well you tin can switch polarities on the wing.

Screenshot (116).png
Each level has 3 information pieces to collect that unlock additional levels

I think this one is also a mobile or tablet game. It ran really smoothen on my laptop even with the graphics all the way upward. I finished the first 11 "story" levels in just under an hour simply I enjoyed the gameplay so I took a swing at completing the bonus levels likewise. I'm glad I did, the bonus levels were a lot more than interesting. They took longer to complete and required a little more thinking and reflexes. There was only 1 pesky information piece I wasn't able to collect in the single player puzzles only I can alive with that. Sadly I was not able to try out the co-op campaign because the game didn't recognize the PS4 controller.

Cosmic DJ

297110_screenshots_2015-08-14_00002.jpg
Pure Nightmare Fuel

Full Play Time: 70 minutes

This was an experience. I take no idea why this game was in my steam library, peradventure a friend gave it to me, maybe it came in a parcel I honestly don't know but it was at that place. I played it and it was glorious.

You are a Catholic DJ  spoken to past a disembodied phonation who calls himself the Cosmic Usher. Steve4 (actually that's not a typo) has invaded the universe and is pumping out bad vibes. The Cosmic Conducter decides it's your job to fight off the bad vibes and fix the five Jamtennas. Each Jamtenna has its own weird story to play through including but not limited to headless corgis, robot bands, and ii felt puppet best friends.  You're only goal is to make sweetness jams by looping sounds togetherr, eventually filling up the jam bar, and moving on to the next scene.

It's hard to put into words exactly how strange this game is so here'due south a bunch of screen shots instead:

297110_screenshots_2015-04-12_00001.jpg

297110_screenshots_2014-10-02_00002.jpg

download.jpg

297110_screenshots_2014-06-08_00001.jpg

So if you ever find this game lurking in your steam library turn the lights off, put on some headphones, and save the universe with the power of music.

Hullo, hi, and welcome to my very beginning mail service here at I'm Not Squishy! This blog will chronicle my adventures through my excess and serve as a platform to write virtually my unyielding honey for MMOs,RPGs, and video games of every flavor.

Now I know what your thinking, having a backlog of video games is probably the biggest outset globe problem right next to the Starbucks running out of whip cream. Why does information technology thing if these games become unfinished? Well the truth is information technology doesn't, just it sounds like a whole lot of fun trying to trounce as many equally I tin can!

Meet the Backlog:

It's ever best to know what your up against when you commencement a project. I took the time to actually look through my Bin O' Games and see but how many games I have left to complete. The break down looks something similar this:

PlayStation 4: 9 unfinished games*

8 PS4 Games
*Digital Download: Tom Clancy'south The Division

PlayStation 3: 32 unfinished games*

20160529_193615
*Digital Downloads: Mass Effect 1, 2 and three, Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch

3DS/DS: 7 unfinished Games*

5 3DS games and a DS game
* Digital Download: Niggling Battlers Experience

Things didn't seem so bad until I opened up my Steam Library. When I did….oh god, the horror!  I've only had steam for two years and but discovered Humble Bundle concluding year. This has resulted in a whopping 79 unfinished games, many of which I never even started up.  According to http://www.howlongtobeatsteam.com, it would take about a month of playing 24/seven to vanquish the main story in all of my games.

I've decided to tackle my Steam Library and my PS4 collection first because I tin take pretty screenshots easily. (Full disclosure, my laptop is 4 years old and runs an Intel 4000 integrated graphics chip so the screen shots from steam may not be and then pretty.) For Steam I'yard going to start with the games that take the least time to vanquish and piece of work my manner upward. For PS4, PS3, and 3DS I'1000 going to play whatever I'g in the mood for.

I'm going to consider the game beaten once the credits role and/or the final level is beaten, the principal story is over, the goal is obtained at which signal there names will exist immortalized on the Games Beaten page.  Really after sitting downwardly and going through the collection I have found some games to add to the games browbeaten page.